Berry and Beet Morning Smoothie with Ground Flax Seed and Pineapple!

The way our bodies feel and the level at which they operate has a lot to do with what we put in them. I definitely have my guilty pleasures and indulge in buffalo chicken, tacos, and a host of other comfort foods from time to time. 

As the mom and primary cook in this house, I feel responsible for the health of my family! Sure they share the responsibility for their own health and have to make good choices, but what comes out on the plate each night is mostly up to me.

Lately I've been feeling like I want to switch our diet to a more raw foods diet. Less processed, more fruits and veggies, etc.

To keep myself and my family somewhat balanced, and in an effort to put more fruits and veggies in our diet, I make morning smoothies. Usually my fiance and I take them on the way to work. I also try to force our kids to drink them whenever possible. 

My smoothies mostly always include spinach, banana for sweetness, and some kind of frozen fruit to make sure they are cold. I try to jam pack as many veggies as our blender will allow, while also making sure to balance them out with some sweet fruits to give the smoothie a better flavor. I usually just use water, but have also used coconut milk, almond milk, and also occasionally orange juice. The good thing with smoothies is you can throw a bunch of good for you stuff in there and then take it on the go, easily ingesting healthy vitamins and minerals. 

Here's a quick recipe for a go to smoothie that incorporates beets and berries!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 beet, diced, plus some of the stem and leaves
  • 2/3 cup fresh pineapple chunks
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 2 tablespoons organic ground flax seed
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup fresh baby spinach
  • 1-2 cups water
(these measurements can vary based on blender size)



First, assemble all of your ingredients.




Then, wash and dice as needed.


I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color of beets! Be careful though, as they will stain anything they come in contact with!


Assemble all ingredients in blender.


Blend!



I love the nice, red color the beets give this smoothie. 


I love adding beets to smoothies! They're underrated and often forgotten, but have so many health benefits!


Not to mention, they make me feel nostalgic for my totally awesome 90's childhood. 



(Rock band, "The Beets" from the popular 90's show, "Doug")

Now that your smoothie is done, it's time to try to foist it on your loved ones!



 "Boy not gonna eat that. I eat that."




Will he drink it? The world may never know. 





(Sadness when mommy gives you no smoothie.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Being Insecure! Start Loving Yourself!